Hello & Welcome to my little corner of Blogland...

Lovely crafty people who follow my blog. Thank you....xxx

Sunday, 24 July 2011

Blogger's Challenge ~ Summertime

That's the theme this week over at the Blogger's Challenge..  

Kim and Lisa are challenging us to think about what summer means.. in my family it (normally!) means taking life at a slower pace.. a break from the norm... NO school run each day or rushing about in the mornings and of course, vacations and day's out or just chilling in the garden while the children play in the sandpit or the pool..


I decided on a journal page for my entry... I have a gorgeous House Mouse stamps that sums up summer to me.... and can I find him! NO! That's my job later today... I'm on a mission! ;-)

Yesterday, my two boys signed up for a summer reading challenge at the local library and while they were choosing books I wandered over to the section where 'old' library books that have seen better days are taken out of circulation... and I caught myself a nice little selection of books that will be great for mixed media.


So.... after giving one of them a good old clean with a damp cloth I set about adding some Gesso to a couple of the pages.... and the rest just followed!

click to enlarge

I'm not sure if Moth Fab is quite as happy at the prospect of school finishing for the summer!! I just love Head! I was a bit concerned about sunburn so I gave them both paper sailor hats... I also used Hopscotch which is great game my little ones love to play!

The background stamps used are Splatter LongSwirl Stalks, Medium Bee with Tiny Bee.. and my favourite Stampotique Originals stamp of the moment.. Flower Block.

Anyone spot the little bicycle? Summer wouldn't be complete without watching the Tour de France.. can't believe it's nearly over though!

What does summer mean to you? Thank you for calling and leaving a comment if you get the chance.

Happy crafting. Gez.

26 comments:

  1. LOVE that book and the pages you did. I have lots of old library books here but needed some inspiration. Thank you for that. This is fab :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant use of kiddies books, and what wonderful pages!!! I LOVE them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab pages, love their little paper hats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS! Love the hats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good find those books were! And you've already started to put one to such good use - fab journaling - I too love the little paper hats. Love and hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your summer page. the background is beautiful and summery. I think it's great that you used Moth Fab and Head. I would not have thought of using them, but i love it. I need to think outside the box more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gez, this is so fun and happy. Love the details on the stamp images. You sure did bring them to life.
    xoxo,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Gez,
    Love all your magical makes over the last few months!
    I've had a lovely time catching up with all your projects.
    Your mojo is still flowing despite all the ups and downs that you've had, and my goodness you've had more than your fair share of downs lately.
    {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} for all the heartache you've had Gez.
    When they say life is a rollercoaster they are quite correct aren't they.
    It's been a hard year for so many people I know.
    Surely we are all due to catch a break soon.
    Take care
    love
    Gini
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Gez, you got a great haul from your library - love what you've done so far.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great journal pages, great background and I love the hats. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your altered library books, great idea. The little bicycle looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great journal page, love the addition of the little bicycle. Thanks for joining us at blogger's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab journal page and what a creative way to recycle those chunky book! Thanks for playing along with the Bloggers Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh....you are soooo good at this journalling lark darling!!!!! Who would have thought that this started as a childrens book....its amazing!!! Love & HUGS xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Gez, sitting here drinking my morning tea and loving your book! I am working on my first...maybe I will get brave and show it off! Oh, and lol at your latest "trip" thru my blog...gosh girl..you didnt have to comment so much but I sure loved it! lol Sending u a big hug! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great journal page. I love the "Schools out for Summer" sentiment. - Thanks for joining the BC Summertime challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant Gez, well done on finding those brilliant books xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really should check my spelling sweetheart, shouldn't I?? That should, of course say 'somewhere'!! Wouldn't be me without a little ps, though would it??? Love S xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Gez, I LOVE these pages. The hat you added is adorable. Despite everything, you are on a creative roll. Hope you are enjoying some lie-ins this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gez i am so sorry to hear about your dad, i went through it earlier in the year as you know so i am praying for you my friend.
    Hugs June x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful book, love the sun.
    Summer ... that means a lot of sunshine, blue sky, hot temperatures, sitting in the garden and reading a book.
    But I'm still waiting for all these things, it's cold outside (16° C... grey and a bit rainy)

    ReplyDelete
  23. fabulous!! Love the schools out page, the colours are just so so soft and gorgeous!! Hugs Juls

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful! Love the colours and he looks so sweet with his hat and balloon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate your thoughts.
Have a nice day.
Love Gez.xx